Tuesday 20 April 2010

Hackney Hounds

So, don't know if you heard but I, Kayla Whiting, am God in training: creator of Hackney Hounds. Who would have thought one small idea, which started as a joke, is now going to be a reality.

I've always loved dogs, Staffordshire Bull Terriers and Pitbulls in particular. Now I know these aren't most people's first choice of breed but what most people are unaware of is these dogs are actually the most loyal, family orientated, friendly dogs known to man.

You're probably thinking I'm off my rocket, seeing as you've seen all the articles and bad press on these dogs and, dare I mention, Pitbulls are illegal in this country. Yes, fair enough, but did you ever stop and think why these dogs are like this? If you ever saw the news and you thought the dog deserved to be put down, then you are the exact audience I am trying to reach.

These dogs are not born aggressive, they are trained to be. So don't blame the dog, blame the owner.

I want to make people aware of the rising number of abandoned Staffordshire Bull Terriers. So, I've done my background research and found out that a third of dogs in Battersea Dogs and Cats Home are Staffs and most people abandon this breed of dog for reasons such as:
  • destructive when bored
  • too hyperactive
  • owners don't have enough time for them.
What people fail to realise when buying one of these dogs is that they do need a lot of exercise, if they have enough exercise they're not hyperactive and they wont destroy your house. All dogs need time, so when people say they don't have enough time I think it's rubbish. I was working two jobs and still had time to take care of two dogs.

As you can see I'm really passionate about dogs but let me stop side tracking, I'm pleased to say I have been awarded funding to produce a short film about Staffordshire Bull Terriers and to create awareness on why these so-called dangerous dogs are portrayed so negatively and what owners of these dogs can do to stop their dog being placed in this category.

My main goal for this project is to recruit seven young people aged 16-19 who will be in charge of producing the film. They will take on roles such as:

  • Scriptwriter
  • Camera operator and camera assistant
  • Lighting technician
  • Sound engineer
  • Director's assistant

I want to create awareness of these issues but I also want to give a group of young people a chance to gain new skills and have something to show for their hard work. This is a great opportunity for these individuals.

I hope you'll continue to read my blog, watch the progress of the project and enjoy the finished product. There will be a screening in August and it would be great if you could come along and join our discussions.

Follow our progress on the Hackney Hounds blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment